2 cups half-ripe mango slices
3 Tbl butter or margarine
2/3 cup breadcrumbs, fresh or dry
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon, if desired
3 Tbl water
1. Melt butter or margarine and mix with breadcrumbs.
2. Place a layer of buttered breadcrumbs in a greased baking dish, then add a layer of mango slices.
3. Sprinkle mango layer with cinnamon and sugar.
4. Add another layer of breadcrumbs, then another layer of mango slices.
5. Add water, then sprinkle breadcrumbs on top.
6. Bake in a moderate oven (180ºC or 350ºF) for about one hour or until mangoes are soft. (Any type of oven may be used.)
7. Serve plain, with cream or milk, or with lemon or lime sauce (see recipe in Citrus index).
Note: Instead of breadcrumbs, one cup of freshly grated coconut may be used. Coconut water may be used in place of water. Six servings.
DATE: November 1986
* * * * * * * * * * * * *