1. Cut ginger into uniform pieces then soak in cold water for 2 days.
2. Drain, place in clear cold water, bring to boil, and cook until ginger can be pierced easily with a skewer.
3. Drain, but reserve water. Make a syrup, using one cup of sugar to two cups of the 'reserved water'.
4. Add ginger to syrup, boil slowly until ginger begins to look clear. About one hour.
5. Remove from heat and stand overnight.
6. Next day, bring syrup to boil again and add ½ cup sugar to each cup of syrup, add the ginger pieces and boil slowly for one hour.
7. Remove from heat and stand overnight again.
8. Repeat process one more time.
9. Boil slowly until ginger looks clear. Place ginger in hot, sterilised preserving bottles. Cover with hot syrup and seal.
DATE: September 1995
* * * * * * * * * * * * *